Thursday, September 24, 2009

Saint or Sinner?

I'm a news junkie. I admit it. iGoogle is my home page, complete with ABC News, MSNBC, Fox News and CNN. (OK, I also have People and E Online in there too.)

Being a news junkie, I stay up late to watch not only my local news, but Nightline on ABC. Tonight was an intriguing report on infidelity and monogamy. There were some holy rollers on there, but there were also a few people that believe that we, as humans, are not wired to be monogamous.

I've been with the same man for almost 18 years, and then of course there's my husband. HA! Only kidding! My husband and I have been together for almost 18 years, and married for almost 15 years. In that time, I have always been faithful in body. But in mind and spirit? I've lusted, I've had crushes, but have never and would never act on them.

Which brings me to the point of the Nightline episode... Is it a sin to be lustful towards someone else if you are in a committed relationship? Does that make you a sinner or still a saint?

We've all heard the term, "Emotional Affair". But is it really an affair if you are not physically bound to the other person? Some would argue that emotional affairs are twice as damaging as a physical affair, and with good reason. If it was just about sex, then you can pretty much figure out what is wrong in the relationship. But if a partner is seeking an emotional attachment outside the confines of your relationship, then the soul and heart are crushed by the dead weight of the hurt in the mind. Repairing that relationship is an uphill battle.

I remember going through Pre Cana with my now husband. For those of you non-Catholics, Pre Cana is the Catholic program for marriage preparation. In Pre Cana, we discussed shared wants, philosophies, even birth control. But we never discussed the possibility of developing a relationship with someone of the opposite sex that could be deemed as a sin. Strange.

So, are you a saint or a sinner? Take the poll on ABC News and find out. Click HERE to start the poll. And when you are done, only share the results with your partner if you turn out to be a Saint like me ;)

No comments: